segunda-feira, 5 de julho de 2010

Watchmen - Watch me!



First time I saw the Watchmen trailer I just didn't feel like watching it. I do like super-hero movies (such as Spiderman), but the idea of a blue gigantic human being (I would latter discover that he isn't even human) just didn't called my attention. As time passed a friend of mine recommended it to me and I felt a bit curious (I really trust this friend's taste for movies).
So yesterday I finally watched it and at the end I just couldn't help thinking "how could I have lived until now without watching this!” Watchmen is great basically for two reasons: the characters are all real, not in the way that they really existed in real life, but in the way that their personalities are just human, unlike Spiderman or Superman, they hate, they cheat, they love, they make mistakes, each one of them has their own morale; the other reason is the incredible exciting and dynamic plot, you feel lost the whole movie, you don't know why things are happening or why the heroes are acting like that, but in the end it all comes together to a great and surprising conclusion. I don't know about you, but I just love the sensation of being lost and then suddenly it all makes sense.
The movie, which is based on the graphic novel "Watchmen", takes place in the USA, in 1985. The Americans and the Russians are almost starting a nuclear war and at the same time somebody kills The Comedian, a former member of the Watchmen - a group of policemen who worked with costumes. Rorschachs, also a former member of the Watchmen, decides to investigate the death because he thinks somebody is trying to eliminate all of the Watchmen. As the plot goes on we discover many things about the past of the Watchmen and the problems they face nowadays, once the group was prohibited.
Other great features of the movie are the moral and ethic discussions that emerge during the whole film. You start to question yourself whether some actions are justified or not, whether they are moral or not. I just think that's a great exercise.
I must also say that the adrenalin addicted ones won't be disappointed, since the action scenes are great, though I admit sometimes they exaggerate on the violence (there are scenes such as arm breaking with bone appearance and arm amputation with a circular saw), but you can always close your eyes to avoid seeing it if that's not your thing.
In the end "Watchmen" proves to be a great action movie, with a great plot and very interesting moral discussions. I guess there's nothing else to say but WATCH IT!

Um comentário:

  1. This is such a great movie!

    I can't believe you took so long to watch watchmen!

    And you said nothing else but truth, i really like your comentaries.

    ResponderExcluir