segunda-feira, 12 de julho de 2010

Led Zeppelin - So much more than Heaven

"Led Zeppelin" that's a name that everybody has heard at least once. Many may say that they know the band's name but not their music. Those people are wrong. Everybody has heard at least "Stairway to Heaven", one of the most famous tunes of all time, but if I had to guess I would say that everyone has at least two Led songs on their musical repertory. And the ones who don't, man they just don't know what they're missing. Their music goes from hard-rock to ballads; listening to them is just a unique experience. They were able to compose such a huge gamma of songs, and each one of them has a great and unique rhythm. So, if you don't want to regret during your last breath when you realize how much time you have wasted not listening to these guys, you should read the rest of the article.




Although it is their characteristic to compose long tunes, “Good Times Bad Times” is a short, and by “short” I mean 2-minute and 46-second and sharp song, with a great flow, transmitting this great young feeling. Basically it is the kind of song you would listen to when you wanted to wake up feeling fine and just wished to enjoy your breakfast. Other great songs that transmit this same idea are "Fool in the rain" and "The song remains the same".



If you're into more acoustic sounds, but still want to dig some Led, you should try tunes like "Going to California", "That's the way" and, one of my personal favourites, "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" (yes, I know, it's a pretty weird name). These songs are a different Led Zep's trend. They all use acoustic instruments and provide you with a kind of familiar feeling (you should go for the live versions). Simply great.



If you’re into more epic tunes you should try “Achilles last stand” (which is about ten-minute long), “The battle of evermore” and, of course, “Kashmir”, which is in Mission Impossible’s soundtrack. This group of songs has a more dense kind of music. The greatest feature here is the rhythm alterations, that occur during the whole song. By listening to them you will feel as if everything was coming together to a greater end.



“Immigrant Song”, “Heartbreaker”, “Trampled under foot”, “Communication breakdown”, “Rock & Roll” and “Black dog” are songs that I’m unable to describe. I’ve put them in the same group because they all have those guitar riffs that give them their characteristic. It’s like this: if you hear the riff you will instantly identify the song.





Then we have the melancholic tunes, for instance “No quarter”, “Ten years gone”, “In the evening” , “Dazed and Confused”. They can get you deeply depressed, but still is nice to listen to them. “Dazed and confused” is a very interesting one, mainly because of its base notes. If this base isn't the most powerful base in music, it certainly is the most hypnotizing one.



A fantastic song that I wouldn't allow myself to put in a group is "Since I've been loving you". It's a blues, but a blues by Led Zeppelin, and that makes all the difference. If those first 5 notes don't give you a spine creep, man, you're either dead or not human. The tune goes on the same rhythm, that is deeply marked by the drums, and the guitar keeps on giving you reasons to stop whatever you're doing and just appreciate this masterpiece. Enjoy as much as possible.



Finally we have “The rain song” and “Stairway to heaven”. What can I say about these ballads? They are just great, perfect, fantastic. They are able to provide you with a trip inside your mind while you are listening to them. I would dare to say that they are as good as Led gets.



I guess with all of these songs above I just can’t write anymore, therefore I’ll just let them talk for me.

Um comentário:

  1. In my opinion, things wouldn't be the same without L.Z.
    Once I was in a wedding, I think it was the last one, and when the "fiancé?", I don't know "noivo" in english, was walking to the priest the orchestra played "Stairway to heaven". That moment I've had a feeling I won't forget.

    ResponderExcluir